torstai 2. syyskuuta 2010

Season Two Episodes 4-10

Episode 4: Two Cars in Every Garage and Three Eyes on Every Fish
Another very good and memorable episode, even if not good enough to be considered a great. It was on the funnier side of the episodes so far. There was scathing political satire enough to fill multiple episodes. Burns' character gets more define and everyone is pretty much on character. I especially loved how Marge handled the dinner. Very good quality episode and pretty much faultless. That said, I'm only going to give it 7/10. It doesn't have as strong impact as the best episodes have, but it's still extremely good.

Episode 5: Dancin' Homer
Yet another solid, entertaining episode. I guess I can start every review like that for the next about 100 episodes, but that's the truth. This was decently funny and enjoyable episode, even if the premise doesn't appear that interesting. Maybe that is why it's not that appreciated episode among the fans, but that doesn't change the fact that it's an ok episode. The most important thing is that it's well made. 4/10 pretty easily.

Episode 6: Dead Putting Society
I was starting to think that this was more average episode than the recent ones but it got better in the end. Some funny stuff and good plot mean that this is a fine episode as well. I enjoyed Bart going to Lisa for help. Lisa was just on the mark in her characterization - just the kind of Lisa that made us fall in love with her in the first place. I especially loved the line "Why do I get the feeling that someday I'll be describing this to a psychiatrist?" in the end.
That said it's obviously Homer, Bart and Flanders who are at the center stage in this episode. This is the first time Flanders starts to get Flanderized by showing his religiousness. Homer also shows some jerkass-qualities, but nothing as bad as we are going to see in later seasons. Downsides aside it's a good episode, another 4/10.

Episode 7: Bart vs. Thanksgiving
This is a very dark episode. Bart acts like a total brat and he is very annoing - but he pretty much is in character and it works. The whole thanksgiving meal is very grim affair with Marge's mother's dark comments and all. But it all works. This episode is one of the best ever. How? Because it feels very lifelike, very relatable. I've been there. It works because they wrap it up well and there's great character deveploment there. The ending is one of those strong emotional moments that got me junkiefied in the first place. Besides, just because it's dark doesn't mean it's not funny. Despite it's grimness some of the stuff before and during the meal actually strike a smile on me. Bart's imagination when he comes back is probably the funnies of all and there's some great animation in that bit. It's first 8/10 of the season. I think this one is vastly underrated - it's better than then next episode which is considered widely as a classic.

Episode 8: Bart the Daredevil
I'm not as crazy with this episode as your average Simpsons fan, but the fact is that it's a classic no matter how you look at it. Plot is, well, somewhat over the top but it works and the episode is quite funny. Homer jumping the Springfield gourge is probably one of the most memorable and classic Simpsons moments ever, even if were sick of it already like some later episode put it. Funniest moment for me was when the ambulance drives right at tree and Homer falls again - I don't know how, but it still makes me laugh. It's somehow perfectly paced or something. It's so ridiculous that you can't help but to laugh. That said, it is too goofy for truly great rating and there wasn't much else, it's just a funny episode. 6/10 will do.

Episode 9: Itchy & Scratchy & Marge
I love I & S, and this had loads of them in good form. It's a Marge-centered episode and those are said to be boring and on the face of recent episodes, this seems a little dull compared, but it's still pretty good. It's good satire at least. Maggie was in top form trying to kill Homer and the Psycho-reference was great. Still it's overall a little low on laughs and it doesn't even hold that much emotion. I also think that Marge could've easily have argued how Michelangelo's David is acceptable and I&S not, but I guess it was easier to just end the episode there by Marge conceding she is wrong. That said it's worthy of 4/10.

Episode 10: Bart Gets Hit by a Car
Straight off the bat I'll say that this one had a great emotional ending. It might be sappy, but that's how I like them (I guess?). With a Bart on it's title you'd think that it's about Bart, but it really doesn't focus on any particular character. Lionel Hutz is introduced here as well as Dr. Nick. I think that Homer starting to hate Marge for million dollars felt a little tacked on and it was introduced so late that it couldn't be properly explored, but I still think that the payoff was good enough. It's an episode with a solid plot and it had pretty decent amount of laughs as well, the best moment probably being the testimonials of Bart and Mr. Burns. Good 5/10 for this one.

I'll have a break now, but I'll keep them coming later today.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti